R’Native Voice is a youth mental health program for ages 12-18 and is a prevention program to reduce drug use, incidence of suicide, depression and community violence through learning about Syilx identity and belonging, life skills and culture and language.
The program is delivered in the seven member communities and three urban centers over 8-12 weeks, depending on community needs. In each community a Community Liaison Worker is assigned to assist in delivery of program. The curriculum is structured in a way that encourages each group to invite local resource people such as Elders, Storytellers, Mentors and other community teachers to participate and share their knowledge. The curriculum has been revised utilizing captikwl and nsyilxcәn in all components.
To access the R’Native Voice Program you can contact the R’Native Voice Coordinator or your Band Youth Worker in your community. The R’Native Voice Coordinator works with the Band Youth Worker to plan and coordinate this program which is delivered once per year. R’Native Voice continues to work with school districts to provide school credits for participants.
The R’Native Voice Outreach
The R’Native Voice outreach component was established in 2014 with the aim of engaging youth who are at risk. This service is in addition to R’Native Voice which focuses on early intervention and prevention services.
The outreach program provides a continuum of care by working with youth who in the past proved to be difficult to reach. The worker acts as a liaison for the youth and links them to necessary services. Youth eligible for these services must be:
- Okanagan Nation youth
- between the ages of 12-18
- members of the 7 member communities
- actively engaging in risk-taking behaviors.
For referral information please contact the Sr. R’Native Voice Coordinator.
R’Native Voice Curriculum
- Write It On Your Heart: ɋʹayantx l aspuɁɋʹus
- Our Roots Our Beliefs Part 1: iɁ skcxˇ wiplaɁtət
- Our Roots Our Beliefs Part 2: iɁ skcxˇ wiplaɁtət
- Depression: spaɁa
- Grief: qəlspuɁus
- Loving Yourself: xˇ ast spuɁus
- Physical Health: kwu͜ xiɁtmíst (we run)
- Drugs & Alcohol: nkncintn uł nxˇ wus (poison and alcohol)
- Sexual Health: iɁ scxwəl xˇ wáltət (our health or our life)
- Community Project: iɁ snqsilxwtət
- Self Esteem: npútaɁtn (respect)
- Bullying: nxilsm (respect one’s feelings)
- Social Justice & Current Issues: scmʹ aɁmʹ áy (news)
- Wrap Up: paƛmcín (end of a story)