We run for our people and our land
Between 140 and 200 Okanagan Nation members will come together over the 4 day event, with a minimum of 100 partakers joining for the entire 4 days. Based on the previous years, the average age of runners will be in between the ages of 14 and 18 years of age, with the youngest runner being 5 and the oldest in their 60’s. The majority of the runners will be members of Okanagan Nation communities who are chaperoned by designated community members. If you have youth that would like to participate please contact your local member community youth worker or Wellness/Health department. If you would like to bring your own youth or yourselves please register directly with the ONA.
The event if free to participate, the run is covered through programs and donations. Each participant will also get a free tank top for participating.
2020 marks the 11th annual Spirit of Syilx Unity Run. This year, due to social distancing and isolation precautions because of the COVID-19 pandemic, it will not be possible to run throughout the Territory as a group this year. However, the ONA has decided to move forward with a “virtual Unity Run” from June 3-7, 2020. The run this year will “start” at Manning Park to Princeton to Summerland via the Summerland-Princeton road and then down into Penticton up towards Carmi for a total of 250kms. There will also be virtual workshops each day in place of the educational activities that usually happen along the run.
HOW WILL THE VIRTUAL RUN WORK?
The virtual run will happen via an online program called “Racery”. Racery is a virtual race platform that allows participants to track where they are in a race by logging their kilometers ran, but they do not have to be on the actual route. For the Unity Run, there will be 1 racer on the platform, the Unity Runner. The ONA communications team will be able to log kilometers ran by participants and add them in to the platform as ran by the Unity Runner as he travels along the proposed route.
Unity Run Facebook Group: click here
Registration google form: click here
Workshop Poster:click here
Unity Run bib: Unity Run Bib
Registration for Unity Run this year will be completely virtual. Please read the instructions below carefully to ensure you have properly registered for the run.
How do I register?
- Each runner/participant in the 2020 Unity Run needs to have the Google Form completed. This includes children. https://forms.gle/V3SowMYgjJixGLX47
- One of the questions asks for your name on Facebook (ex. some people may use a nickname and it may not be what you have registered as). You must have a Facebook account or someone who can be added on your behalf to complete your registration. Request to join the group at the link here and ONA will add you to the 2020 Unity Run Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/916228645466034/?ref=share
- Once you have been added to the Facebook Group, you must leave a comment on the page with a photo or video of yourself explaining how you are training for the upcoming run. If you are a family, you can submit one photo or video will all participants included in it, just include all names in the description.
- Your completed registration form and successful photo or video post in the Facebook group will complete your registration and your tank top will be mailed.
- NOTE: You MUST have your registration completed BEFORE 8:30AM MONDAY MAY 25 to receive a tank top. Registrations past that time will not get a tank top.
Funding for the run comes from various sources including program funding, member communities, and other sponsor requests. This event is supported by the Okanagan Nation Response Team (ONRT) and the Aboriginal RCMP.
Gallery:Check our Event Gallery