In 2014 the Okanagan Chiefs’ Executive Council passed a tribal council resolution calling for more supports and the development of a Nation strategy for healing from residential school impacts. This program provides community information on Syilx residential school impacts, and next steps towards wellness for residential school attendees and their families through community workshops, information sessions, healing circles, and individual and family support groups. SIRSSL serves all seven communities within the Okanagan Nation, and works with surrounding organizations to increase service accessibility.
Goals & Objectives:
- Develop and maintain Syilx Indian Residential School Committee
- Create a Nation Strategy for Indian Residential School Healing
- Gather and share information with the seven Okanagan communities on Syilx Indian Residential School impacts and healing
- Increase access to support services for former Indian Residential School students and their families
- Resource development and promotion
What kind of direct service can I get?
- Individual, family or group outreach services: family circles, referrals, planning and support.
- Communities: workshops and information sessions, and training on residential school.